Monday, January 01, 2001

Should've

Who would've thought that the last present I'd be giving you would be the six-piece lavender tulips I bought last night?

Who would've imagined that that night would be the last time I'd ever hear you sing that Julia Fordham song that I am not quite familiar with?

Who would've believed that your Davidoff cologne would be the last sweet-smelling fragrance I'd remember?

Who would've known that my lip gloss would be the last thing you'd "steal" (haha) from my car's compartment?

Who would've believed that the kiss you gave me on my left cheek would be the last kiss I'd ever receive from those succulent lips of yours?

Who would've thought that Dead Poets' Society would be the last video you'd be renting with me?

Who would've expected that that tastelessly-executed blonde joke would be the one last hilarious laugh we'd be sharing?

Who would've known that that slice of Blueberry Cheesecake we shared would be the last slice of cake I'd be having with you?

Who would've thought that last night would be the last time I'd see you wear your purple dress, your long black hair being blown by the evening wind?

Who would've expected that those will-you-marry-me's I've been rehearsing for the longest time would never be uttered in your presence?

Who would've expected that your Vodka Tonic and my Sex on the Beach would be the last intoxicating drinks the two of us will be having in that hell-I-still-can't-remember-its-name bar?

Who would've believed that last night would be the last night I'd pray to all the gods for strength and confidence to tell you just how much I feel for you?!

And who would've thought that on that night--last night, well...just like all the other nights--my prayers would not be answered...again?

Who would've known that for the nth time, I'd be walking away from your doorsteps with regrets after failing to express my affection...simply because I got chickenshit yet again.

Who would've expected that the heartburn I've been constantly whining about for the past few weeks would result in a massive cardiac arrest?

And who would've known that the glaring headlights of an oncoming ten-wheeler truck, the deafening sound of screeching tires, the faint smell of my last pack of Lights (I was quitting, remember?), and the excruciating pain on my chest would be the last four things I'd go up against...but would lose?

And who would've thought that I wouldn't see the day when I could--finally--ask you to spend the rest of your life with me? Damn...I should've told you last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home